Saturday, March 29, 2008

Repetition Wedding Dress


Hi everyone! I was thinking about making a wedding dress out of plastic grocery bags. I plan on first folding and sewing each bag into a small square or other shapes (see photo), then putting a bunch of these patches together to create larger pieces. The point of this is to have a thicker layer and also to make neat decorative patterns on the dress. I’d like to make it life-sized and wearable. If anyone has any clean plastic grocery bags they could bring to class for me, I would really appreciate it! I need way more bags then I currently have to make this.

7 comments:

tsallen said...

Hey Sabine! I have some bags i could bring you! So are you using actual needle and thread to put them together? and are you doing it by hand or a machine? By hand could take a very long time, especially if you're aiming for life-size.

Zee said...

good i idea, and i have some bags, too. just wondering what kind of bags you need? colored ones or just plain white?

Lynette said...

I think this idea is great and very ambitious. It needs to be life sized! I will bring some bags on Tues!

Anonymous said...

I am very excited to see the outcome of this! I think it would be interesting if you didn't make them in squares, but instead bunch the bags together in a way so you can tell that they are grocery bags.

Sabine said...

Hi Zee, the bags I need are the white grocery bags from like Fry's or Safeway. Since it's a wedding dress, they need to be white, or mostly white. I realize those bags have logos printed on them, but that should be ok, the logos won't be too visible after I fold them up. Hi Melissa, thanks for the suggestion! I don't think I'd want the entire dress that way, but it would be great for some specific parts, like the bottom of the dress.

Sarah said...

cool idea, i have a ton of bags i could bring you. are you going to add any trimmings? (lace, buttons, etc.)

Julia Campbell said...

lady, you are always so ambitious! this sounds pretty labor intensive, but it will make for quite an achievement when completed!

good luck!

you should use someone like kim for your model. someone teeny. haha