Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ideas for Repetition Project

What's up class,

For the repetion project that we are about to start this upcoming week I came up with a couple of ideas for my project. First of all this project has to tell something about you as a person and could represent anything that has happened in one's life or one's beliefs. So with that in mind I thought for one of my ideas that I could make a trophy using paper mache or styrofoam as the trophy and covering it completly in tacs or pushpins. The reason why I would do this is becuase in my life I had to overcome a lot of obsticles to be where I am today so I thought the tacs could represent the "obsticles" that I had to overcome and the trophy could represent "achevement" or "accomplishment". I was also thinking of applying the same effect but making a deploma or a gold metal or something but I thought the trophy would make more since for now because it's more identifyable. So that's what I'm thinking for my project, I diffenitly want to use the tacs but I may change the subject (trophy) if I come up with a better idea over the weekend. If anyone would like to comment on this there more then welcome to. As for the rest of you, hopefully my idea can inspire and/or help some of you to come up with your own for those who haven't yet.

-Matt

6 comments:

tsallen said...

I think your idea is pretty good and very original. Nobody has really chosen to do styrafoam thing yet and you're meaning behind it sounds pretty unique! I like it!

Sabine said...

Hi Matt, I really like your concept of a trophy, as well as your explanation for it! Have you though about doing the trophy, but using a materiel other then thumb tacks? I feel like the idea of a trophy is very meaningful and that it would make a very strong piece if made with a materiel that is equally meaningful, one that ties into the whole overcoming obstacles thing somehow.

Lynette said...

Matt,
What about rocks instead of thumbtacks to represent a "rocky road", or "bumps in the road"?
Just an idea. I certainly dont expect you to do it just because I am your teacher, I just want you to open your mind up to using other materials. Any other suggestions?

JenJen said...

Hey Matt,I really like the thought behind your project.  I almost want to disagree with previous comments of changing your material.  I think thumtacks could work well to define the obstacles you've encountered, as the pointed end could represent maybe pain you have experienced? or something to that sort. I think, though, that it would be hard to recognize that if the pins are pushed IN. Maybe try to find a way to have the pointed part facing out...it has potential to be dangerous...but I think it could make a cool statement.

Jen

Zee said...

good idea, but i think the handle of it gonna be a tough job for you

Cheri Thompson said...

I think this is an interesting idea, and I don't really see any reason for you to change it, but...
What if you went a little further with the way the tacks represent obstacles?
For example, you could make a man out of Styrofoam that looks like he's moving toward a trophy....
but he's walking on a road paved with upturned tacks...
or something like that.