Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Paper Houses"


My sculpture entitled "Paper Houses" attempts to address the current divorce rate. This paper wedding cake represents the impermanence of so many marriages in recent years. While wedding vows once meant "'til death do us a part," these days all they seem to mean are "'til things get rough." A hundred years ago my cake should have been made of bricks, but today, mere paper will do. As a young woman, current divorce statistics weaken my faith in the institution of marriage. While marriage sometimes seems like the happy white confection my cake appears to be, I often feel like the tiny bride on the highest tier-- blinded by insecurity and fear (or, in her case, waxed string). Materials used include an assortment of papers, foam core, tape, PVA glue, string and beads.

No comments: