Monday, January 28, 2008

"I'll never fit into this"

My piece, entitled "I'll never fit into this," is a dress made out the covers of magazines. These covers were chosen, many from my own collection of magazines I buy or have a subscription to, to show how even magazines geared towards women often have these unattainable standards of beauty. The dress is about 6 sizes too small for me, which is representative of how large I feel if I compare myself to these models, movie stars and other cover girls. I used sewing for the main technique of the piece, I first sewed a large "quilt" of covers, then cut this up using a dress pattern. Next, I sewed together the dress and used black vinyl tape on the back (to reinforce it and also to hide the back images which were not important to my design). So in all the materials used were; magazine covers, thread, vinyl electrical tape and rubber cement.

No comments: